I am a soup fanatic! I love soup so much I think it should be its own food group. My usual meal prep includes making a big batch up for my lunches and you’d be hard pressed to find a version or recipe I don’t like. Be prepared, Menu Monday will feature LOTS of delicious, healthy soups.
This chicken tortilla soup recipe is loaded with protein, veggies and flavor. It’s quick and easy to make, and won’t break your budget!
Now, I like to buy a whole bird and roast it, using the bones to make my own chicken stock (more on that next Monday!) but you can easily use store-bought stock and still get great results. I just like doing things the hard way, from scratch.
What You’ll Need
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced (separate the whites and greens)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups of diced chicken
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2-3 teaspoons of cumin
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Let’s Make It!
- It a large pot, heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat
- Sauté the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and the white portions of the green onion until translucent
- Add the 6 cups of chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and seasonings. Taste and adjust, as needed.
- Allow the pot to return to a boil, and remove from heat
- Add the green portion of the green onions
Serve the soup over crushed tortilla chips and a sprinkle of cheese. Sometimes I add sliced avocados for an extra dose of healthy fats, but that’s entirely up to you! This soup freezes well, and I’d recommend portioning some of it off into containers so it doesn’t spoil before you can enjoy it!