This simple, savory dish is a delicious adaptation of a traditional Israeli recipe. Don’t let the unusual tomato and egg combination run you off – you’ll be missing out! This recipe works for breakfast, lunch OR dinner, but I typically start my morning with it.
Shakshuka is very versatile and you can add a variety of vegetables, such as diced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, or greens, and cook the eggs to whatever doneness you prefer. This recipe is pared down, using ingredients I already had on hand, but it’s still super-satisfying. Hope you enjoy it!
Let’s get started
What You’ll Need
- 1/4 of a Small Onion, Diced
- ½ cup Spaghetti Sauce
- Garlic, Cumin, Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 or 3 Eggs
- Sliced Bread
How to Make It
- In a small skillet, saute the onion in a touch of oil until translucent.
- Reduce heat and add ½ cup of spaghetti sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Season with salt, pepper, a pinch of cumin and dash each of garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Crack the eggs into the seasoned tomato sauce and cover.
- Watch the eggs closely and cook until the whites are set (yolks as well, if you prefer).
- Serve eggs and sauce with toasted bread.
Try it and tell me what you think!